Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Stats, staches and a shot.

Elise had her 1 month checkup yesterday with Dr. Powell and we braved the elements to get there on time. Thankfully the doctor's office is just around the corner so we didn't have to drive too far on the slip and slide where the road used to be. Her new stats are officially:
Weight: 9lbs 5oz
Height: 23in
Her weight is average for her age but her height (length?) is at the top of the chart. Our little girl will not be little much longer at this rate. Given that both Mike and I are pretty tall I guess it's not a surprise that Elise will be a tower too.
After she was all measured she got the once over by the doctor to make sure her throat, ears, belly button, etc were all normal. Then came the dreaded shot. Now I'm sure that babies don't remember getting these vaccinations but when the nurse came in with that big needle I knew this wouldn't end well. I had just calmed her down from her examination and now she was about to get jabbed in the thigh by a sharp needle. Doing my best soothing voice (while holding her down) I hoped she might not notice the shot. At first I thought we were in the clear since she didn't scream right away. Then that little face...the upside down lip, the squinted eyes, and that mournful cry. I scooped her up once she got her bandage on and managed to make the tears stop. Whew, I think that was harder on me than it was on her!
Later that day we had to do something fun to make up for the drama of the morning. Mike said he wanted to draw a little mustache on her but we both knew we couldn't really do that. At the same time it dawned on us that we had a set of fake mustaches we could use! So Monday turned into Mustache Monday. Elise was a good sport, she was really curious about the appearance of a furry thing above our lips and didn't really seem to notice hers. So here are our new 'family pictures'. Enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. We can't stop laughing....Great idea, remember this when she is older and sad about whatever.

    ReplyDelete